Denmark has signed the International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement (ISA FA) and Instrument of Ratification with India as stated by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)who serves as a depositary to the Framework Agreement.
- Meanwhile, Denmark becomes first country to ratify International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement (ISA FA) after amendments to it entered into force on January 8, 2021.
International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- ISA initiative was first proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his speech in November 2015 at Wembley Stadium ahead of the 2015 UN Climate Change Conference or COP 21 in Paris, France referring the sunshine countries as Suryaputra.
- ISA is an alliance of 121 countries with its headquarters at Gurugram, India. It was initiated by India. Most of member countries are sunshine countries located completely or partly between Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn. It is a treaty-based intergovernmental organization. ISA is the largest grouping of states, after United Nations.
Objective of ISA
- ISA was established with the objective of working for efficient consumption of solar energy in a bid to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.
Who can join ISA?
- ISA is primarily an alliance of countries lying between Tropics. However, countries which do not fall within the Tropics can join alliance and enjoy all benefits as other members, except the voting rights.
ISA Framework agreement (ISA FA)
- ISA FA was opened for signatures in Marrakech, Morocco in November 2016. It was joined by 200 countries.